Skip to main content

Social Care Service

How do I ask for a social care service?

If you already have a social worker then you should contact them direct. Otherwise during office hours you can contact Social Care Direct who will ask you some questions to find out your needs and how best to meet these. You can contact Social Care

If in an emergency and you need a service outwith office hours, then you can contact Glasgow and Partners Emergency Social Work Services on 0300 343 1505.

There are also a number of local social work offices within the North East, North West and South of Glasgow City.

You can also apply online for the following services:

  • Children's Service
  • Adult Service
  • Adult Protection Referral. This form should be used by Agencies / Professional staff to submit an Adult Protection Referral
  • Occupational Therapy Service - If you are having difficulty with an activity in your daily life like, bathing / showering, getting up / down stairs or getting dressed you may require some advice or practical help to assist you.  An Occupational Therapist can help you to identify your needs and find solutions to make life easier for you or someone who cares for you
  • Information Request to Social Care Direct. This form should be used by Agencies / Professional staff when requesting information from Social Care Direct

Can I get a service?

You will be asked some questions about your needs and the support you require. This is called an assessment. An assessment can involve discussions with staff from social work, health or housing. The purpose is to look at what your needs are and how best these needs can be met. Sometimes, it will only take a matter of days to complete the assessment and start providing services. For others, the assessment process may take some time.

We will use our Eligibility Criteria to decide which level of need you fit into – low, moderate, substantial or critical. Priority will be given to people with substantial or critical level of needs. Not everyone will qualify for a service; it may be the case that people assessed as within the moderate or low risk categories may only be able to be provided with information, advice, guidance or signposting to support them.

For information on social care and support services in Glasgow City visit These are either directly provided by the Partnership or another provider/contractor of community health and social care services.

Do I need to pay for services?

If it is agreed that you need a social care service then you may have to make some contribution towards its cost. However, this will be based on your ability to pay, not the cost of the service. You will not pay more than you can afford and you will not pay more than the cost of the service. A financial assessment will be carried to work out how much you need to pay based on your own circumstances.

For more information on paying for your service, see our Charging Policy or our easy-read Client Contribution Guide on Your Support Your Way Glasgow.

Scroll to top